License Renewal Date
CPE Reporting Period
1/1 to 12/31 in the three years preceding the renewal date OR
7/1 to 6/30 in the three years preceding the renewal date (new for 2013 renewals and forward)
- Licensees must declare which CPE date they are using when they renew
- Licensees may choose a different deadline (12/31 or 6/30) for each renewal cycle
Four (4) hours of ethics and rules of professional conduct CPE
Other Subject Area Requirements
Eight (8) hours in Accounting and Auditing if supervising and/or signing compilation reports on financial statements.
- Certification Exams: Credit for successful completion of Certified Management Accountant/CMA, Certified Information Systems Auditor/CISA, Certified Financial Planner/CFP, Enrolled Agent/EA, as well as other similar examinations approved by the board can be claimed in the calendar year of the examination and is limited to 50% of the total renewal requirement.
- Dinner/Luncheon/Breakfast Meetings: Credit is limited to 25% of the total hours required and to 2 credits per instance.
- Firm Meetings: This type of CPE is not accepted.
- Instruction: Credit is limited to 50% of the hours required.
- Published Materials: Credit for authorship is limited to 25% of the hours required.
- Self Study: Credit is limited to 50% of the hours required.
- Subject areas: Non-technical subject areas are limited to 50% of the hours required.
- Fields of Study: This jurisdiction has a rule(s) placing limitations on certain subject areas or requiring a certain number of credits within a certain subject area or group of subject areas. Confirmation with the Board of the impact of the changes included in the new Fields of Study document, which went into effect September 1, 2016, is included in this analysis.
- Certification Exams: Credit will be allowed at a rate of five times the length of each examination, which is presumed to include all preparation time
- Instruction: Instructors will be allowed credit for 2 hours of preparation for each hour of actual instruction. Courses must be above elementary level.
- Partial Credit: Half credits allowed after the first hour.
- University/College credit: Academic credit limited to the following: 1 quarter hour equals 10 CPE hours; 1 semester hour equals 15 CPE hours.
Other State Policies
Iowa accepts CPE credits for programs offered by National Registry sponsors.
Non-Residency Licensees Requirement
A CPA holding a currently valid license from their state of residency may choose to meet the Iowa CPE requirement by meeting the mandatory CPE requirement of the resident state.