License Renewal Date
12/31 of odd years
CPE Reporting Period
1/1 to 12/31 biennially, ending in odd-numbered years
4 hours every biennial license renewal
Other Subject Area Requirements
- Instructed: The maximum credit allowed for instructors is 40 hours. Credit for teaching the same course is awarded only once during a three-year period.
- Published Material: The maximum credit allowed for published material is 20 hours.
- Practice review: The maximum credit allowed for time spent as a reviewer at a formally sponsored inter-office or inter-firm quality review program is 20 hours.
- Technical Reviewer: The Board has provisions to allow for CPE credit hours for a reviewer at a formally sponsored inter-office or inter-firm quality review program, with 50% of each hour and not to exceed 20 hours per biennium.
- Instructed: Credit is given for presentation time only.
- Practice Review: Credit is calculated at a rate of fifty percent (50%) per hour spent as a reviewer.
- University/college credit: One quarter hour equals 10 CPE hours; One semester hour equals 15 CPE hours; 1 hour non-credit class participation equals 1 CPE hour.
Other State Policies
- Provider Approval: Course providers must be one of the following:
- A non-profit nationally recognized accounting and auditing association
- An accredited university or college
- Approved by either the Hawaii Board of Accountancy or another state board of accountancy
- Approved by NASBA’s National Registry of CPE Sponsors
- Carryover hours:
- Up to forty (40) hours earned in excess of the reporting period requirements may be carried over to the next reporting period.
Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs
PO Box 3469
335 Merchant Street (96813)
Honolulu, HI 96801-3469